Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Take me home, country roads...


… to the place I belong.

1,224 meters in elevation (approximately 3,672 feet). This town sits at nearly half the elevation of Colorado Springs, but is surrounded by mountains that are just as tall as Pikes Peak, reaching over 4,800 meters high (14,000 feet). Monte Bianco is 4,810 meters (14,430 feet) and it is surrounded by others that are comparable in size. You are essentially seeing more mountain here.

Town square of Courmayeur, Monte Bianco in the background

Thank you John Denver. When I arrived to Courmayeur I felt like I was home. Colorado will always have a piece of my heart but the Italian Alps will forever hold a very special place in my soul. I found my home in Italy here in Courmayeur. I felt like my old "Mountain Mama" self again.

Hiking in the Val Ferret

I loved this mountain oasis, situated on the border of France and Switzerland, the farthest north and west you can possibly be while remaining in Italy. 


The border at the top of Monte Bianco, nearly 14,000 feet in elevation.

Every day I had off I was hiking for 6-7 hours on some of the most beautiful trails I have ever seen. As you all know, I love Colorado with nearly all my heart but these mountains put our Rocky Mountains to shame. The Alps are truly special. They are epic. Rocky. Jagged. Jutting out of the earth holding such power and strength that all you can do is just stare at them in awe and begin to realize your insignificant size in comparison to these historic giants.


Glacier Frebouge in Val Ferret, there are people at the end of that trail.

I love the Val d’Aosta region, especially the area closest to Monte Bianco (France’s Mont Blanc), Gran Paradiso National Park and Monte Cervino (the Italian side of Switzeraland’s Matterhorn).

Monte Bianco from Rifugo Maison Vielle

Monte Bianco is the most beautiful Italian I have encountered on this trip and I can’t wait to see him again.

Looking at the town of La Palud and the Val Ferret


Took a trip to La Joux to hike to 3 waterfalls. 

This is the 3rd waterfall. It was a torrent of power plunging down the rocks. Can you see all the mist coming off?

Hiking down along the river. The water is quite cloudy from the glacier melt and fast moving water. 

Took the bus to Pont and hiked a beautiful trail to Rifugio Vittorio Emanuele in the Grand Paridiso National Park. It looked so much like Colorado, I felt like I was home.

They serve beer at the rifugo at the top! Woohoo! It was the best Moretti I have ever had.

I took a cable car to the top of Monte Bianco and across the pass to France. Here you can see the cars hovering above the mountains and gigantic glaciers below.

The Val Veny. Monte Bianco is on the right. Spectacular view.

At the top

The famous mountain top in this region, the Giant Tooth. Can you see it sticking up?

Ice climbers getting gear ready for a climb.

The same group, with the crevasse in front of them. Gives a little more perspective to the enormity of this place. 


Chamonix, France (the other side of Monte Bianco ... aka Mont Blanc here) is known as the birthplace of Mountaineering. 

View from the cable car.

Aiguille di Midi. French side of Mont Blanc.

In an ice tunnel that leads to an ice trail

Love it here! Mountain paradise!

Another shot from the French side. 

Walking back to Courmayeur

“Mountains make my heart sing” – Mary McNamera.

My friend Mary said this about how being in the mountains makes her feel, and I completely agree. I feel so alive and so happy when I am near them. They bring me peace and contentment. My home will always be surrounded by them. 

Grazie Mille Italia. I will be back. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Erica, Daniela told me your story of hunting slugs! I was there for two weeks in 2019.

    ReplyDelete